David Moyes has confirmed Wilfried Zaha will get a chance to impress this season after a fine second-half display in Manchester United's 1-0 defeat to Singha All Stars.
Losing against a team made up of players from the Thailand Premier League was not the way Moyes intended to begin his reign as United boss. However, as he pointed out, this was not a match his new charges had to win.
And in the performances of 18-year-old Adnan Januzaj and former Crystal Palace star Zaha, Moyes had two reasons to feel content at his side's work. Zaha actually joined United in January but the 20-year-old stayed at Palace for the remainder of the season, helping Ian Holloway's men back into the top flight.
There had been some suggestion he might be sent back there to further his education. Listening to Moyes, that is not going to happen.
"Wilfried did well," said Moyes. "He gave us a little bit of something different.
"We have brought him here to give him a chance. It is the first time I have worked with him and had a chance to see him up close. He will certainly be part of the squad and we will see where we can fit him in as often as we can."
Zaha came closest to levelling for the visitors when he curled a shot against the post. In the end though, United could find no response to Teeratep Winothai's 50th-minute effort.
"It wasn't a brilliant result but this wasn't one we desperately needed to win," said Moyes. "It is one we need to get prepared to win games from."
And Januzaj made his mark, building on the positive impression he made at the end of last season, when he was handed a squad number by Sir Alex Ferguson and even made the bench for that emotional final-day 5-5 draw at West Brom.
"He was a plus for us," said Moyes. "He played well. It is always good when you give a young player a chance and he shows up. He did that. The more he plays like that the more opportunities he is likely to get."
曼联很有信心和鲁尼续约噢
United not worried by Rooney deal
1 hour ago
Manchester United are not concerned about the prospect of Wayne Rooney's contract running down.
Whilst manager David Moyes has been repeating his mantra about wanting Rooney to stay, albeit pointing out he will not let any single player become bigger than the club, United's new chief executive Ed Woodward has been spelling out their policy on contracts.
With two years to run on his, the perceived wisdom has been if Rooney is to remain at Old Trafford then an extension will have to be negotiated, otherwise United risk either a collapse in the 27-year-old's market value or him leaving for nothing should he remain for a further two seasons.
Given their aggressive approach to the financial side of their club, it seemed impossible the Glazer family would allow that to happen. However, speaking to reporters in Thailand prior to Saturday's 1-0 defeat to Singha All Stars, Woodward said that is not the case.
"There are no contract renewals that are being discussed. I am not sitting down with any player on an extension and there is no trigger date in the diary," said Woodward. "Would we be afraid to run a contract down? Of course not."
With Jose Mourinho managing to keep Rooney's name at the forefront of people's minds and no confirmation from the player that he actually wishes to extend his nine years at United, Moyes is aware speculation will not go away, even though the player is sidelined with a hamstring injury. What he will not do is allow the issue to cloud everything else.
"Wayne has got a major role to play, we need to get him as many goals as we can," said Moyes. "Wayne can play up on his own, he can play dropped in. Overall my thought on Wayne is, if for any reason we had an injury to Robin van Persie, we'll need him.
"But I've also got to make sure we don't just concentrate on him. Manchester United aren't about Wayne Rooney. Manchester United are about the team, the club. We are talking about him now, and rightly so, but what I won't allow is Wayne to become more important than the football club and the football team."
A first major signing would help Moyes, although it seems Thiago Alcantara will opt for Bayern Munich rather than accept a switch from Barcelona to Old Trafford as seemed certain a fortnight ago.
"We are not looking to change the way we do things - it's been a successful formula," said Woodward. "We want the manager to be investing. We are not in the business of delivering him players. That structure works for some, but not here at United."